Entrance examinations in India are the tests which are conducted to measure the ability and knowledge of a candidate in particular subject matter(s). Various Institutions and Universities by all means conducts these exams. In India, people particularly focus on entrance exams for Management, Engineering, and Medical.
The entrance examinations in India trace its roots from the University of Calcutta, which when established in 1857, introduced the practice to test the eligibility of the candidates for admission. However, the exam pattern changes frequently. This is because sticking to a Standard Pattern alone will favour the Coaching-industry and the Rote-learners. The experts who work in setting patterns for these examinations, point out that, in a country where there are hundreds of different Boards & Universities, Common Entrances are essential, but certainly Application skills are to be preferred and stressed upon, rather than the mugged-up knowledge.
In the first place, University Entrance Examinations are of two types:
Competitive Examinations – Rankings are specifically given to the results obtained from these examinations. In fact, the choices of University & Courses are given in the ascending order of rank. Notably, Waiting lists are applicable here. This, however, differs from the SSLC & HSC, where there is particularly no grading threshold for passing the examination.
Objective Examinations – These examinations are based accordingly on Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). Here Automated means are rather used to evaluate the answer sheets of millions of candidates. This examination balances out the effect of Subjective scores on conventional papers. For instance, the papers, a student focuses on the HSC or 12th Grade examination.
You may get a brief overview of the Entrance Examinations from the list below. However, these are the only few examples and there are numerous other examinations in the below mentioned categories.
Management Entrance Examinations
- AIMS Test for Management Examinations [ATMA]
- Common Admission Test [CAT]
- Management Aptitude Test [MAT]
Engineering Entrance Examinations
- Joint Entrance Examination [JEE]
- Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam [VITEEE]
- Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture, and Medical Common Entrance Test [TS EAMCET]
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Aptitude Test [BITSAT]
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test [TANCET]
- Central University Common Entrance Test [CUCET]
Medical Entrance Examinations
- National Eligibility Entrance Test [NEET]
- All India Pre-medical/Pre-dental Entrance Exam [AIPMT]
- Armed Forces Medical Core Entrance [AFMC]
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Master of Dental Surgery [NEET MDS]
Fashion & Technology Entrance Examinations
- National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam [NIFT Entrance]
- Pearl Academy of Fashion Entrance Exam
- National Institute of Design Entrance Examination [NID Entrance]
- All India Entrance Exam for Design [AIEED]
Law Entrance Examinations
- Common Law Admission Test [CLAT]
- Andhra Pradesh Law Common Entrance Test (AP LAWCET)
- LSAT India
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test for LAW [MH CET Law]
Film & Television Entrance Examinations
- Film & Television Institute of India Entrance Examination
- National School of Drama (NSD) Screening Test
These are very few among the thousands of examinations, all the categories combined. Yet these are very important examinations for candidates. Additionally, to summarise, these exams act as a stairway to the admissions at dream Courses and Institutions. Candidates should prepare by heart for these exams and perform exceedingly well owing to fulfilling their dreams.