Top Pharmacy Colleges in India
“Pharmacy is the branch of health sciences that deals with the preparation and dispensing of drugs. Its aim is to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs”. The pharmacy education in India has undergone tremendous changes to meet the requirements of Industry and community at large. After obtaining a degree in pharmacy students have to register with the state Pharmacy Council. This article lists top pharmacy colleges in India.
Pharmacists can be involved in any and all aspects of drug and medicine use, they can find jobs in both governments as well as private organizations. After completing the pharmacy course, one can easily find jobs in pharmaceutical industries, government departments, colleges and universities, hospitals, investigation, and research institute etc., which purely depends on your qualification. After registering with the state Pharmacy Council, you can open chemist/drug shop and sell medicines as per doctors’ prescriptions.
Courses and Eligibility
Following are the main academic courses in Pharmacy:
- Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm)D.Pharm is a 2-year degree, Admission to the such requires Qualification in 10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Maths (PCM) or Biology. D.Pharm holders are eligible for admission into B.Pharm (lateral entry).
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)Candidates who qualify class 12th with PCM or Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) or Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Biology are admitted to the 4-year B.Pharm. At Bachelor level, there is no specialization.
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm)M.Pharm is 2 year Master degree, the specialization available in masters level is Pharmaceutics, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Engineering etc. Admission into postgraduate pharmacy courses is done through Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT)
- Ph.D programmesCandidates who complete Masters in Pharmacy can go for Ph.D programme, which is focused on research in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Marketing & Management.
Top Pharmacy Colleges in India
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, Jadavpur University, Kolkata and Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai are some of the top government pharmacy colleges in India.
Following is the list of top pharmacy colleges in India based NIRF ranking, facilities, reviews, and placements.
1. National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Mohali
National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked NIPER 1st in pharmacy college ranking in India. For admission, candidates are required to qualify the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) or now Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT). NIPER is one of the top B.Pharmacy colleges in India.
2. Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
Established in the year 1989. The college awarded an ‘A’ grade deemed university status by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council of India. NIRF ranked Jamia Hamdard 2nd in pharmacy ranking.
3. Panjab University, Chandigarh
Established in 1947 and it one of the oldest universities in India. The NIRF has ranked Panjab University 3rd in India in the pharmacy ranking.
4. Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
Established in 1933, NIRF has ranked Institute of Chemical Technology 4th among top pharmacy colleges in India in the pharmacy ranking. It is focused on training and research in various branches of chemical engineering, chemical technology, and pharmacy. It is one of the top pharmacy colleges in Maharastra.
5. Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
Established in 1964, NIRF has ranked Birla Institute 5th in India in the pharmacy ranking. Admission to BITS has been offered on the basis of the student’s performance in the all-India entrance examination, the BITS Admission Test (BITSAT).
6. National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Hyderabad
It is an Indian public Pharmacy research university, and a part of the seven schools, under India’s Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. NIRF has ranked Institute of Chemical Technology 6th in India in the pharmacy ranking. The institute offers a 2-year PG degree course; MS (Pharm), M.Tech (Pharm) and MBA (Pharm).
7. Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Udupi
Established in 1953, NIRF ranked the Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences 7th in India. For admission, candidates have to appear for Manipal Entrance Test (MET).
8. JSS College of Pharmacy, Mysore
Established in 1973, NIRF ranked the JSS College of Pharmaceutical Sciences 10th in India. The college has made great strides in meeting specific needs of both students and patients, exploring new frontiers in pharmaceutical sciences and practice.
9. Poona College of Pharmacy, Pune
Established in 1981. Approval by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi. It offers Graduate, Post-graduate and Doctoral programmes in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
10. Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research, New Delhi
Established in 1964. It is providing teaching and research in pharmaceutical sciences. NIRF has ranked Delhi Institute 19th in India in the pharmacy ranking.