Top Veterinary Sciences Colleges in India
Doctors who treat animals when they are sick or injured are called vets (veterinarians). The veterinarian profession not only requires higher education but also needs your love towards animals.
Veterinary Science is the science of diagnosing, treating and curing the diverse types of diseases in birds and animals like domestic pets to farmyard animals. As a subject, it broadly covers the study of animal physiology, treatment, and prevention of diseases among animals.
Following are the list of Veterinary Sciences courses.
For admission to UG Courses, you must have passed 10+2 with Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Furthermore, Veterinary Council of India conducts All India Pre Veterinary Test (AIPVT) or National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for admission to Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & AH).
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & AH) – 5 years
- B.V.Sc in Animal Genetics and Breeding
- B.V.Sc in Animal Production & Management
- B.V.Sc in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
- B.V.Sc in Veterinary Medicine, Public Health & Hygiene
For admission to PG courses, you should qualify a bachelor’s degree in veterinary science. Applicants have to qualify the Entrance exams which are being conducted by Individual Universities/Colleges
- Master of Veterinary Science (M.V.Sc) – 3 years
- M.V.Sc in Veterinary Medicine
- M.V.Sc in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
- M.V.Sc in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Medicine
- Ph.D in Veterinary Pathology
- Ph.D in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
Above all, Veterinary Colleges in India admission is also offered on the basis of score obtained in the entrance exams like Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Medical Common Admission Test (MCAT) or Veterinary College Admission Test (VCAT).
Veterinarians have different specialisations. You can choose your career in any of the following specializations:
- Food safety & Inspection Veterinarians: They are involved in the research of finding and preventing diseases that is transmissible between animals and humans.
- Companion animal veterinarians: They work in hospitals, provides treatment to pet animals like dogs, cats etc.
- Food animal veterinarians: They treat the illness and injuries of farm animals like pig, cattle, sheep etc
- Research Veterinarians: They are involved in the research of finding new technical surgical techniques.
- Equine veterinarian: They generally provide medical treatment to horses.
Top Veterinary Sciences Colleges in India
The private veterinary colleges in India fee structure ranges from INR 70,000 to INR 2,00,000. Some of the top private veterinary colleges are Apollo Veterinary College, Rajasthan, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Hyderabad, Dean College of Veterinary Science Gunnavaram and School of Veterinary Science, Arunachal Pradesh. Following are the list of top veterinary sciences colleges in India.
1. Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
Established in the year 1889, courses offered by the Institute are M.V.Sc, Ph.D and National Diploma in Various Specializations. Admission to M.V.Sc and Ph.D is merit-based admission for Diploma Programs and admission for other courses done on the basis of Entrance Exams.
2. National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal
Established in the year 1923, it offers a B.Tech degree in Dairy Technology (DT), Diploma in Dairy Technology, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying, Master’s program in dairying and doctoral programs in the various disciplines of dairying and dairy technology.
3. Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal
Established in the year 1985, it provides educational research in fisheries and animal sciences. Selection of candidates for these programmes will be done on the basis of qualifying degree examination as well as Common Entrance Examination (CEE), which will be conducted by the university.
4. Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture & Technology, Pantnagar
Established in 1960, it offers B.V.Sc, M.V.Sc and Ph.D Courses. The admission is made on the basis of marks scored in entrance examinations conducted by the University and other competitive examinations.
5. Maharashtra Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Nagpur
Established in the year 2000, the colleges have some highly specialized and well-developed departments which include India’s first Veterinary Nuclear Medicine Center [VNMC] in Mumbai. Admission is based on merit in the previous qualifying examinations.
6. Bombay Veterinary Science College (BVC), Mumbai
Established in the year 1886, affiliated with Maharashtra Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Nagpur. Admission to UG program is done on the basis of Maharashtra Health and Technical Common Entrance Test (MHT CET) whereas, for PG course, admission is purely done on the basis of merit of last qualifying exam. For Ph.D admission, the selection is done through entrance exam followed by an interview round.
7. Veterinary College, Bangalore
Established in 1958, the college aims to attract people and particularly livestock farmers towards veterinary education. Presently, it offers courses for the undergraduate program, postgraduate program both at Masters and Doctoral level.
8. College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Mannuthy
Established in the year 1955, it is one among the constituent colleges of the newly established Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University. Kerala Veterinary College, Mannuthy, offers Ph.D programmes, Master’s Degree programmes and PG Diploma programs. The Ph.D program includes Diary Science, Animal Breeding, and Genetics, Livestock Production Management, Parasitology etc.
9. College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Anjora, Durg
Established in the year 1985, all departments have excellent laboratory facilities and adequate infrastructure for the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research along with a well equipped veterinary teaching hospital to cater to the demands of large and small animal health care. Admission in Veterinary college Anjora, is based on AIPVT result.
10. College of Veterinary And Animal Sciences, Bikaner
Established in the year 1984, the college offers both UG and PG courses in fields of veterinary and animal sciences. The diploma courses are offered for Pre UG students. Doctoral courses i.e. Ph.D in veterinary areas like Physiology, Anatomy Biochemistry, etc.